Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Who wants to discuss Grant Show?

Oddly, I'm writing this inaugural blog more than 14 months after I created the site and promised R that I'd create a blog-girlfriend to metaphorically date his tri-daily discussions about the coffee world.

Oddlier (yes that's a word...), I'm writing this post (finally) while on detox and forbidden from drinking most teas.

So, instead of writing a long post about how many cups of peppermint tea you can make from just one scoop of leaves in a 7.25 hour work day, I'll explain what this blog's about, what you can expect to find here, who 'you' are as I doubt anyone will ever read this (unless I blog about "Jennifer Aniston + John Mayer" and then someone might google it by accident), and how I'll employ a stunningly accurate use of punctuation to make it easier for you ('you') to read my uber-long sentence structures.

So who wants to discuss Grant Show?

If you're a reader of R's coffee blog, you might remember a post dated 14 February 2009 aptly titled "Latte, Brunetti, Carlton". It contained the words "spin-off coming soon" and a photo of not only a latte but a take-away soy chai (and part of a face with a particularly bad hair cut that I've since outgrown). Not that you can tell it's a soy chai, but still. The spin-off reference referred (as references often do) to my promise to (finally) start my tea blog about that very cup of chai. I referred to that cup as "the Grant Show of the blogging world." As you'll all hopefully recall, Grant Show appeared in Beverley Hills 90210 in 1992 as Jake Hansen and then 'span-off'/'spin-offed' to Melrose Place (and, later, Models Inc.) to play a major character and share his own adventures with viewers.

This is the spin-off. Like in Joss Whedon's Buffy and Angel, a tea may turn up in a post about coffee, and vice-versa, but ultimately this is where I'll blog about my many theories about tea, my observations about Melbourne cafe culture, and shameless attempts to get free Gunpowder Green leaves from T2.

In the Melbourne cafe system, the story of tea is represented by two separate yet equally important players: the drinker, who consumes the tea, and the tea itself without which there'd be none of itself to drink (or something).

These are their stories.

2 comments:

DrJmo said...

Yes! I for one will read this. And I challenge you to fit evermore obscure references to TV shows from the 90s and/or Noughties.

RyanOnCoffee said...

I for two!
I just read Grant Show on Wikipedia. He was only in two episodes of BH90210. I always thought it was more than that.