Saturday, May 2, 2009

Soy chai latte platter, National Gallery of Victoria (Ian Potter Gallery)

Have you ever met someone that you really want to like but just couldn't? Perhaps it was a blind date, where the guy/girl has really tried their best -- you can tell they've bought new shoes, had their hair cut, really thought about how to present themselves. Or maybe it was a new kid at school who did their best to create a good impression on their first day. And you really do want to like them, but once you get to know them, you realise they have nothing to offer society and should probably make all attempts to not be part of it.

Well, I haven't met someone like this, and, franky, if you have, then that discluding them from society stuff is a little harsh. But it's an analogy, so just work with me. This was my experience today at the NGV's Ian Potter cafe down at Federation Square. I walked in and the service from the girls behind the counter was great -- genuinely friendly and happy to be at work (1 point for service, especially at the end of the day). I ordered a chai and they clarified "chai tea or chai latte; we do both" (1 point for knowing the difference -- this is the chai equivalent of meeting a cute, single guy that saves puppies for a living. Pro bono.). I sat down, and the chai arrived promptly (1 point) and well-presented, with honey and an additional pot for a refill (1 point):


I've never seen that before -- you usually get chai tea in a teapot, which might make several cups, or one chai latte in a latte glass, but never both. The girl then said "let us know if you'd like more milk; I can refill the pot for you" (50 points)! Refill a teapot with hot water, yes, but soy milk? Unheard of! Chai heaven!

And here we returneth to the analogy: despite the service, the 'latte+teapot' format, the refill option and the location (where more decadent a place to have a cuppa than in a gallery?), this was a pretty miserable excuse for a chai. I wanted so much to like it, but it was pretty crap. It had not been brewed for long enough and I didn't have the option of brewing it further; it tasted like hot soy milk. The soy had also been overheated, so I burnt my tongue tasting it. I've given up having honey in my chais, but resorted to adding a teaspoon to at least make it a hot, sweet soy milk drink -- drinkable after ten minutes, but a definite let-down after the glorious build up.

And the exhibition? John Brack. Most excellent. Do yourself a favour. Check it out. Ran into my cousin, Diarne, there too, which was a highlight but admittedly is unlikely to happen if you go there in the future.

1 comment:

shineon said...

Hmmm. I think that warrants a separate category in your class system. Maybe Class D - huge build-up but fails to deliver? I had such a chai latte this morning at Noisette in Port Melbourne. Display cases full of extremely decadent treats, then a soy chai that had to have been of the Lipton powdered variety. So disappointing, I nearly cried...